picture

picture

Wednesday 1 December 2010

it's still going on....

no sign of a let-up in snow and ice - though we seem to be the lucky ones today. on the radio they warn about awful conditions in the east, because they had a lot of fresh snow over night. outside the sun is dazzling - no change really from the last few days. we still get postal deliveries (our postman is a hero - he didn't miss a single day during the last bad winter!!) - and today I received an item that is intended as a christmas gift. it's handmade, but not by me - I will not start beadmaking (mantra: I will not start, I will not start....:)). the collecter loves hippos - so a hippo it has to be:
isn't it gorgeous? I love it - and don't really want to give it away again... if you're interested in more, I got mine from Suzie Sullivan here.... it would go so well with froggie in my pot:))
 I also fell for another KAL - this time it's a shorter project, a "christmas calender", so we'll get the clue every day from today onwards until christmas. it's a lace scarf and when I saw the first clue up late yesterday evening, I just had to grab my needles and yarn do to the first clue. it was only 16 rows long, so it worked up quickly enough... I had planned lace for this yarn anyway - it's fine cashmere with 2 very fine threads of schappe silk. not tightly plied, I just let the two silk threads run into the wheel with the (commercial) cashmere that was leftover from the grey coat I made last year. I also had just enough clear beads with silver lining to add - very fitting for the weather right now, soft and warm - but with some sparkle too:))
as you can see - we were still snow bound this morning. after the hard frost at night everything is covered in ice crystals and the sun blinks and dazzles until it is warm enough (overstatement - you'd have to be an ice crystal to feel this warmth:)) to melt them....
in the close-up you can see the single fine silk threads - I hope I won't pull them out when using the scarf later.... it knits up nicely, the yarn is very soft but warm and I look forward to the finished project. if you want to participate - you can either go to ravelry (it's available in english, too!) or check out the details here. 

5 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Great pictures; love the lace scarf! What a great idea-yours will be just fine with the silk as a ply-it looks wonderful! (Sorry for the cold temps but they make for some great photos!)

Woolly Bits said...

thanks - at least we'll have enough opportunities to wear all the woollies:))

Leigh said...

Around the world there's snow photos at every blog I visit. Except here. We just missed though. We had 3 and a half inches of rain yesterday, and today the temps drop below freezing. It was all in the timing!

The scarf is going to be lovely. Treat choice of yarns.

Janet said...

Hello Bettina - beautiful pictures of snow in Ireland. That's early this year - just like here - the snow and ice during American Thanksgiving week were unprecedented. But unlike you,I was not wise enough to bring in some of my pots and plants - consequently I lost a few. alas.

Woolly Bits said...

Janet - we got an early warning this time! and had several nights of close to freezing, so that even I did realise I'd better do something:)) might not be enough though - with night temperatures close to minus 10 deg. C the unheated dome is freezing up, too:(( but there's only so much space inside on the window sill!
enjoy the snow - at least it covers up all ugly spots nicely:))