picture

picture

Saturday 19 May 2007

Lace knitting - not lace frogging!

After fiddling about with the lily-of-the-valley pattern I managed to work it out - well, more or less, one side worked well, the other side was kind of off-kilter in the pattern somehow. I kept going, but after two more rows it started going wrong again. the pattern shows a linear increase in the chart - but then the amount of stitches should go up the same - not in different steps! in the end, after "unknitting" several times (there is nothing worse than frogging in lace, it leaves the knitter with even more errors - so the rows have to be knitted backwards, very frustrating!) I just lumped it... and realized that there was another pattern like it on offer. the first 30 rows are the same, and after that the part where the error occured isn't in this pattern. to be on the safe side I counted the decreases, increases and overall stitches on the chart - and they fit! so I worked this pattern - and have the front of the pillowcase done now! of course it looks like sh...shambles before blocking, but the size fits perfectly (even though my yarn is handspun and a different size than the one given in the instructions) for the pillow inserts that are available here. happy ending to a lot of frogging? yes:)) especially as I like the outcome of this pattern better. it has more definition, less "holes everywhere" like in the first pattern. sometimes errors in patterns do have their uses!
and I received information about a new special issue from interweave - they are publishing one about felting in july! wet felting, needle felting - and also knit felting (my favourite!) - another must-have?
and in the new issue of "knitting" some more ideas of how to use knit in different ways. a special about Rachel Henderson, who adds knitting to garments such as skirts, t-shirts etc. I quite like the idea and already ideas are sprouting everywhere:)

No comments: