picture

picture

Thursday, 24 April 2008

Hummingbird shrug




I finally managed to take pix of my finished shrug - the result of the "hummingbird in silk" challenge. no willing photographer around, so I had to improvise with a cloth hanger and a broomstick:))

I do like the colours and the yarn - and I like to wear it - but I have to admit that a shrug with less wide sleeves at the bottom would be more practical! it's ok when knitting (I use circulars anyway), but even when I am trying to eat I have to take it off - even more so when doing any other work.... on the other hand, a silk/wool shrug maybe shouldn't be worn when doing household chores?:)) I started one in purple merino in brioche stitch some time ago - maybe I should finish this one for the more menial tasks around the house? I don't know why I chose the top in this strong purple - after I spun the yarn I decided that I'd not work it into larger projects - to avoid shocking innocent people who come too close accidentally:) it's ok for smaller things (I made a hot water bottle cover a while ago) - but a bit too strong for garments, I think. or at least for garments worn in public! anyway, if I do finish it - I'll put some rib on the sleeve parts that draws it in a bit! or maybe I'll start all over again and with less stitches in the lower arm area....

I spun the top by hand, dyed the yarn with gaywool colours (painted skeins) that were steam fixed. I started the pattern along the back, with a small repeat that grew in length every few pattern repeats (easy to do, just add one more pattern row and one more back row) and a provisional cast-on. after finishing the first half I took up the live stitches from the cast-on and worked the same in mirror fashion. I kept all stitches on the needles and worked a zig-zag border along both sleeves. then I closed the seams and crocheted a narrow border on the two open parts on the neck, top and bottom. finished....


and I finally started to knit the kilcarra donegal tweed sweater! despite my digging and shifting I cannot find the original pattern, so I just have to make up my own. I did the sleeves quite some time ago, so I already have the basic pattern for the leaves in it. I just have to count it out onto square paper and knit back and front. it won't take too long as the wool is quite chunky with needle size 4, but then I only have 4 weeks left anyway, so I better get going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Bettina,
toll deine beiden Tücher. Sag mal, habt ihr einen Park vor dem Haus (wegen der konischen Bäume)? Das Garn vom Kolibri gefällt mir auch gut. Was für Fasern waren es denn? Und du hast sehr schön gesponnen. Es sieht sehr gleichmäßig aus. Bei meinem Gesponnenen (bei größeren Mengen) kann man das als nicht sagen. Gruß Juliana

Bettina said...

nee, ein park ist das nicht. mehr ein erweiterter vorgarten:)) und Michael schneidet die zypressen immer so, damit sie diese form kriegen und nicht auseinanderfallen...
der kolibri ist aus einer seiden-wolle-mischung, glaenzender als das pfauengarn. bei dem gibt das kaschmir so einen "halo", den hat der kolibri nicht - aber die vogelfedern glaenzen ja auch eher:))ich bin ganz zufrieden - wenn auch die aermel wirklich etwas weit wurden unten...danke fuer das lob:))

Dorothy said...

Bettina, I'm simply awestruck. I thought the peacock shawl stunning, I know this is also lace knitting but it seems to me a different kind of project, with the dyeing of the yarn as well, and yet it is no less beautifully done. Thanks for the photos, I love to see your work!