I promised to upload pix of my egg cozies, here they come:
both cozies and doily are unfelted yet. the egg cozies shrunk as expected and fit well, even though the colours changed a bit. the crochet shrunk far less and stayed much softer. which is ok for this purpose, I didn't want a board made from wool:)) crocheted egg cozies on the other hand would be rather floppy!
here the felted cozies - as you can see, the colours changed most in the lighter ones on the left and right.
this is the original light green yarn on the right - and the change to grey, both in the doily and the cozy.
and the light yellow, that changed to apricot - luckily not to grey, or the original yellow cozy would look rather sad:)) I have had colour changes before, when adding washing powder to the felting process with naturally dyed yarns, some changed dramatically. but I didn't use any on this load, so I suppose there must have been enough residue in the machine to work small changes. for this project it didn't do much damage - but if you plan on a larger one, where the colour changes might ruin it - I can only advise to either let the machine run for a clean at hottest settings - or not use the machine at all (or wash with powder on purpose and test for changes beforehand:)).
this is the rather mucky, yucky looking superwash top I used to mop up the leftover easter egg dyes. I think next time I'd separate the green/blues and red/yellows...
the yarn doesn't look bad though - as a singles. it's rather fine like this and I am not sure how to use it. I could ply it, but this would muddy up the colours even more. I could navajo ply - but that's not my favourite technique:) I might use a single colour yarn to ply it with - but first I need to spin the last of the three parts of the plait!