picture

picture

Tuesday 10 February 2009

I didnt' lie!


honestly, I only forgot to upload the picture of our eucalyptus tree! it's not totally in focus, but recognizable as such. I could only show the tip - otherwise you'd see the snow on the lower trees and shrubs underneath:)) it's amazing that a tree from a totally different climate area could do so well in cool and muggy ireland, but it's only 13 or 14 years old (grown from seed!) and already the highest plant in the garden - apart from the ashes on the border of our patch - which are well over 100 years old! and it has given me leaves and bark for my dyeing experiments to boot, even though I didn't end up with reds. I had everthing from yellow to light brown and light rust, so I think I should not complain. it's a good plant really, because the trunk on the lower part is free and it's easy to underplant, because it doesn't throw dense shade either. and I just love the rustling of the leaves in a breeze - a tree for all senses?:))

4 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! Sounds like a great tree.

Helen said...

Hi I did not get red with my eucalypts either.I think they might need the hot sun of Australia for that. bw Helen

Anonymous said...

Hallo Bettina,
Mensch, der ist aber groß. Ich hatte auch mal einen gezogen, der ging aber dann kaputt. Wie sieht es wettermäßig bei euch aus? Hier hat es wieder mal geschneit - wer hätte das gedacht, nachdem es wärmer wurde. Gruß Juliana

Woolly Bits said...

I agree, Helen, if water and soil play a role in the resulting dyes, why not the heat? I thought I should try one of the other e., but the ones that are mentioned to give red dyes, are not at all frost hardy and the plants grow too fast to put into our (unheated) greenhouse!