picture

picture

Wednesday 11 February 2009

harmonia's rings


when I browsed Kristin's blog a while ago and saw the picture of her "harmonia's rings" (pattern by Sivia Harding) - I really liked them and couldn't resist buying the pattern (well, ok, letting someone buy it for me:)). it looked so cozy with the folds around the neck and I knew that I had some nice yarn to use for it in my stash.
so I started the knitting with a blend from soft wool and silk - the one that I first dyed in the parrot colours and then overdyed it with blue to tone it down again! I also bought several small bags of bead mixes to add them on the upper rim - but now I think those might have been more visible if I had stuck to just one shape and colour for those! somehow the different beads vanish in the colour mix....
when I finished the pattern I had a feeling that maybe I had added one twist too much when casting on for the moebius - but I had a look again at a new pic from Kristin and found that mine does in fact look the same as hers! so - off I went, dug out a new batch of yarn (white wool/silk)and started it all over again:)) it's not difficult to knit and I could think of several people, who might like a cozy "scarf" like this - the next batch of present making will be full of "rings":))
this is a detail - with a green bead right in the middle (well camouflaged:)

I also worked the sample for my "knitter's" jacket - this is how it looks with the undyed yarn. it's soft, but not too loosely knit and feels very nice and warm. what I find surprising though: in the pattern rows 3 and 4 are knitted with a second yarn held to the first - but it's barely visible when knit up! I'll do two yarns so, the first is the 5ply, 4 fine yarns and the chunky single - the second one is much thinner, with only the fine yarns, but 2 instead of 1 ply of fine schappe silk.

I hope I'll manage to do the pattern before all kinds of other jobs start creeping up on me again...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Looks great! I love the pattern.

Woolly Bits said...

feels good too! though it's quickly becoming too warm for our irish spring here... at least, if winter doesn't decide to make a detour:)) the second "rings" are in the works....