picture

picture

Monday 4 April 2011

bounty hunting....

I am making progress with my mystery textile project - but I have to take a break every now and then, or my sewing finger will "complain"! I can show you the basic materials I use though:

I think it's self-explanatory?
 when I ordered the fabric I also bought some yarns. the grey packs on the left are for a Harry Potter style sweater, i.e. like the one he wore in the last film. the pattern looks a bit like a rib pattern, just knit/purl stitches, straight up with a zipped up collar. what a change from the rainbow coloured sweater I made several years back. teenage boys apparently want to blend in rather than stand out:)) the rest is sock yarn and some cotton, for dish cloths and double knit potholders...

this is the result of my paper spinning test. I plied it with two (commercial) threads in linen/cotton and it's not as hard and abrasive as I first thought. of course now I see nice paper everywhere. I bought some crepe paper and this purple mulberry paper - and ordered some rainbow crepe paper just today... do I have an addictive personality????




well, if I do - I think hoarding materials must be one addiction. I went to the recycling center to hunt for more cotton fabrics in natural white. I have collected some, which I am going to use for a patchwork sofa cover. I found another one - this time with a woven pattern, looking nice, but impossible to photograph (the larger one in the middle). I also found some other fabric, each at least 1 meter if not bigger. some are cotton or at least blends - but no labels, so I don't know the material with some of them. the one on the bottom left has a white on white pattern, looks like patchwork fabric to me.



and then I stumbled across a large bin full of scraps. must have been my lucky day. usually I don't start digging around, because it's a huge mess full of tiny scraps and cut-offs. but for some reason I started pulling on what looked like a few pieces of white cotton.... which I can always use for stamping on, marbling, dyeing etc.! after about 20 minutes of digging I pulled out all of the cotton fabrics on the left. some patchworker must have emptied all the stash into this bin, there was even some pre-cut and one printed pattern with it:)) most of the pieces are quite large, about 20 x 20 cm or more - a good addition to my stash, useful for so many things! I also found some "mother-of-the-bride" fabric for more paper yarn - even though it's not real silk.... (flowers on beige ground, black/purple dots etc.) now I just have to decide whether to wash it all - or just assume that the patchworker before me was thorough and already did all of this before cutting...  and think about a few new projects:))

5 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Wow, you are having a very creative streak! Just beautiful possiblilites all posted here. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with them!

Nina said...

Excellent stash of goodies you've got there. That's a great find from the recycler. I do like the colours of the mystery project. Looks a bit quiltish to me.. I can't wait to see it finished. You are going to be busy with all those knitting projects, socks, sweater and more!

Sprotte said...

Du Glückspilz!
Aber mach dir keine Sorgen - ich bin auch ständiger Gast bei der Recyclingbörse.Einmachtöpfe, alte Bettlaken, große Weckgläser... Und einmal habe ich um ein Haar einen Unfall mit dem Auto gebaut, als ich scharf gebremst habe, nur weil ich einen Mann mit einer Säge an einem dicht belaubten Walnussbaum entdeckt hatte.
Dein Verhalten ist also völlig normal! Oder wir sind beide verrückt und merken es nicht, und das ist doch auch schön ;-)

Woolly Bits said...

Cindy - don't know about the sock yarns yet (apart from making socks of course:)) - but the rest is pretty much planned away...
Nina - quiltish is a nice word - and very fitting:))
Sprotte - wir muessen wohl alle leicht verrueckt sein, nicht umsonst spinnen wir:)) leider hab ich noch keine (einmach)toepfen im recycling center gesehen, weil dort nur firmen ihre reste abgeben duerfen. aber dafuer gibt es immer haufenweise papier, pappe, stoffe, manchmal garne, grosse tonnen usw... ein bisschen gluecksache - aber es macht spass, wie bei einer schatzsuche in jeder ecke zu stoebern:)) irgendwas finde ich eigentlich immer - auch, wenn es manchmal dauert, bis ich zum verarbeiten komme... es lebe der faserwahnsinn:))

Leigh said...

Great finds Bettina. It's not hoarding though, it's collecting. :)