when I finished my grey coat I still had some leftovers on the cones of commercial yarns - mainly some fine wool and some of the white cashmere. so I grabbed the cones together with some very fine schappe silk and plied them together until I ran out of cashmere. I had planned to knit the Laminaria shawl from knitty, but when I saw the new estonian lace pattern "Aeolian shawl" - I just fell for it and started to knit. the first part is very regular and an easy tv knit - but slowly the number of stitches increases - and yesterday I changed over to the "agave pattern", which needs a bit more care (but still knittable in front of the tv:)) because of different stitches and esp. the nupps. this picture shows half of the shawl - already too many stitches to pull out the full project on a 120 cm long addi lace needle (I love the sharp tips - they make knitting the 9 stitches of the nupps together so easy! makes up for the slightly metallic scent....)
the yarn knits up nicely - but I think I might increase the size slightly - which can be done quite easily as pattern sequences can be added at certain stages. I was thinking about painting the shawl after I finish the knitting - but I'll wait and see how it all turns out!
at least the weather is more like "irish summer" again and it's quite nice to sit outside for a while with my knitting - without melting in the sun:)