picture

picture

Tuesday, 7 August 2007

colourful fibres....

... make for fast spinning! it's great fun to spin the space-dyed merino, every few seconds another colour! the first bobbin was full yesterday; after setting the twist I think it's ok like this to knit, even though it isn't the perfectly even yarn it should be. but then I always said I can spin fine yarns much better than the chunkier ones:) though after the experience of spinning 4 fine yarns and cabling them into one thicker (needle size 4 doesn't really count as chunky yet?) to knit the teeswater afghan - I have become more careful about my time and effort! it's ok to spin fine yarn for very special things or smaller projects - but working large stuff out of them is not something for the impatient knitter - or people under time pressure for presents! well, live and learn..... I have to take a break from the thick and colourful stuff now - I need more very fine yarn for the embroidery.... never ending story no. 324! what a difference, the two-ply for this is about 1/4 of the merino:)) also I have been thinking about how to finish up the belt bag (fanny or bum bag sounds so ordinary:)) later. I would need some bias tape to set in a zipper and do the seams - but the likelihood that I find something suitable in Ballyhaunis - is in the minus area, impossible! so my initial idea was to cut my own, but I don't have fabric that matches either. my thoughts now are to do my own bias tape - knitted! it's probably even more boring to do than to knit an attached i-cord around a long moebius scarf, but at least it's multicolour yarn! and the bag isn't exactly going to be enormous, so I should be able to do it in a reasonable time - or so I hope. it's mindless knitting - perfect for a long tv evening - if I could find something worth watching that is.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

Being rather impatient myself, I have to agree with you about cabling fine yarns. I like the idea of it, but don't want to take the time. I also agree that it is harder to spin thicker yarns! Your yarn looks great however. Can't wait to see it knit up.

Maxx said...

Hi

You page is really good. Each and every blog is impressive by the words and phrases you use. Try this too, he has written the articles well. Some what like you have done.
http://spiritualfacts.blogspot.com/

-Maxx

Anonymous said...

Hi - why dont you think about selling some of this wonderful stuff in Ballyhaunis?

http://ballyhaunis.blogs.ie

a simple yarn said...

Wow! Nice, bright colours make for cheeriness on the gray rainy days...

Bettina said...

the one about selling is a good question! because nobody around here would pay a decent price for the stuff! and I am not talking about the minimum wage per hour (that would mean that a handspun sweater should cost 1000 euro or more!)....non-spinners and knitters have no idea how much work goes into the stuff and of course they don't see why they should pay what they think is a fortune, when there are sweaters from god-knows-where for maybe 20 or 30 euros to be had in the shops!

but yes, I do like spinning those colours right now, where it is so miserable outside:)