picture

picture

Thursday 2 April 2009

my new hobby


this is my 2nd weaving project on the rigid heddle... much better than the first one - but still far from perfect. I had chosen handspun tussah silk, dyed blue, for both warp and weft. originally I had planned the warp wider, but of course I did no calculation for the yarn beforehand (nothing like on the spot weaving, eh?:)) and became slightly worried when the first ball of yarn diminished rather faster than expected when I started the warping! given that I had only two balls, I decided to change the warp width in the middle of warping. in hindsight - that wasn't the best idea. first of all it took me quite a long time and a lot of fiddling to move the whole warp into the right spot on the heddle. and then - it turned out that I needed far less yarn for the weft - so that I still have 3/4 of a ball leftover now:) well, I finished a rather narrow scarf, but that wasn't the only problem.
I should also have tied the warp differently to the teeth on cloth and warp beam. I tied each pair to one tooth, which spread out the warp wider on both beams than it did on the heddle! stupid, I know (now!)... well, anyway, I rolled up some of the warp close to the cloth beam without weaving and only started weaving when it looked nearly like the rest - which ended up giving me a slightly wider start to the scarf - the other end wasn't that much of a problem, because I couldn't weave down to the warp beam anyway! the photo shows most of the scarf finished and rolled onto the cloth beam.

this is the start of the scarf - where I put in some stripes of handspun silk noil. the same pattern follows close to the end of the scarf of course.
this photo shows both ends - I knotted the warp threads for finishing. it's obvious that the start is wider than the end, but other than that - it's wearable:)

this shows the main part of the scarf and also another mistake with the warp - the tension on both selvedges is too loose in comparison to the rest of it! (at least that's what I think the reason is for the "wobbly bits"!) which led to a loose weave on the loom - and slightly wavy, loose edges when I took it off. not ideal, because the weft yarn slides a bit on the warp if handled, but there you go - I hope to learn from my beginner mistakes!
I should also admit that it would be a good idea to follow advice like this: do take notes during weaving, when you add patterns - or count rows etc.! it's not easy to find out again how many stripes you wove at the beginning - when you roll up the rest of the project on top of it:) I assume anyone with more weaving experience is "lolling" about now:) but at least I admit that I made mistakes... I don't think anyone would believe me, if I said that the design was planned that way - and the loose selvedges are special lace?
I have to take a break from weaving for the moment. there is just too much to do in the garden - and the weather is good! of course I still keep knitting and spinning, where I can, but I need at least a few longer nights, where no loom waits on the table and lures me into late-night stands when passing by:)

4 comments:

Juliana said...

Hallo Bettina,
bei dir ist ja derzeit viel los. Ich komme nicht zum Bloggen - siehe mein PM an dich. Gruß Juliana

Juliana said...

Hallo Bettina,
mit was hast du die Seide gefärbt? Ein schönes dezentes Blau.
Viele Grüße
Juliana

Woolly Bits said...

das waren gaywool colours, ich glaube, die farbe heisst "musk". einfach zu machen, nur in heissem wasser aufloesen und faerbegut reinlegen. 30-45 min. simmern, fertig! kein essig oder sowas noetig! der nachteil ist, dass sich die farben nicht so gut untereinander mischen lassen, das wird dann schnell "muddy", weil die farben an sich schon mischungen sind!

Leigh said...

Sounds like a wonderful learning project and it really came out well. I'm so glad you fell in love with weaving!