picture

picture

Friday 21 December 2007

surprise parcels are the best!


I received a nice parcel in the mail today! a fibre friend from germany had ordered some spindolyns in the US a while ago and one of them was for me, seen here in the middle (the brass hook at the top didn't fit the photo). I also knew that I'd receive a kilo of cotton top eventually, but the silk top, the fine silk yarn in skeins, the linen and the grey and white balls of "pre-draughted" top came as the surprise (as were all the sweets and lebkuchen:)). as I just finished all the christmas presents etc. I am quite happy to work on some of the materials during the xmas holidays (not that I'd suffer from boredom otherwise, but new fibres always beg to be tested?)
I could not resist testing the spindle and used some of the lovely silk - and it turned out that the blues and greens would be perfect for my hummingbird silk challenge! now I just have to find out which dyes were used on it....
the very fine (I am talking finer than sewing thread!) silk will be great for doing embroidery - I'll dye it with natural colours I think. I have no plans for the two balls on the right, but I am sure I'll find some good use for those. it is a commercial preparation for spinning machines, like very, very thin pencil rovings, which can be spun without further drafting as they are - or of course draughted out even finer for thinner yarns, to be plied most likely. I guess I could also use them as they come for knitting, as long as I give it a slight turn from time to time during the work.
back to the kitchen and the cookie tins - which still have to be filled!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Bettina,
das ist ein schönes Geschenk. Die gefärbte Seide gefällt mir gut. Wie spinnt sich die Spindolyn? Hatte auch lange über legt, ob ich die kaufen soll. Gruß Juliana

Anonymous said...

Hi Bettina - I'm impressed with your holiday greetings in Irish to the Online Guild. Happy Holidays from Seattle where I'm using my daughter-in-law's computer.