picture

picture

Thursday 21 June 2007

Squares - lots of squares...

I started to buy the series "the art of knitting" a while ago; though I now ask my self why I did. the instructions are for total beginners - no, that is an understatement, they are for people with two left hands really. I am at no. 24 now and there is still not much of an improvement to be seen in the given instructions, the are just too simple and not really interesting. the would probably put even the most unexperienced knitter to sleep:(( the only thing that keeps me going is the small ball of wool that comes with it each week. the pattern behind it is a blanket made from lots of colourful squares. ok, I have so much wool, esp. smaller amounts, that I'd need more of it as much as a button on the cheek! but - now that I started to make all those squares I want my reward in form of a finished blanket. very clever really from the publishers, I expect lots of people just keep going for the same reason! the only thing is that the instructions for the squares are so measly and uninteresting most of the time (no challenge at all) - that I started to make up my own. it's fun to start a pattern like this - there are always a few yards of spare leftovers to do up all kinds of knits.


I started to experiment with slipped stitches again (did some of those patterns a few years ago for the "onion vest" for the lavendersheep) - and I do like the effect of the colours blurring, despite just knitting with one colour.
and the back looks interesting too! (sorry, not quite in focus - that was made when the digicam was still working)



my dye results haven't been all that exciting lately - the sweet william flowers gave a yucky beige, the flowers of herb robert -yep, a yellow (one of at least 30 or more yellows in the last few weeks) - and the berries of mahonia in vinegar look like a beige too. time for some red or purple? I am going to order from wollknoll soon, some madder and logwood and brazilwood would be nice for a change. I also put some sandalwood up for soaking earlier - I hope it really does give a peachy colour! I am fed up with yellows! but I did start spinning some of the teeswater in yellow and green - all results of the dye workshop for the olg. I concentrated a bit more and managed a slightly chunkier single as a result! I have to practise for thicker yarns or I'll end up spending half my life with plying thin ones:)) I'd like to order some space dyed fibre too and I don't want to ply it as I usually end up with barber pole stripes and muddled colours - or a too chunky navajo-plied yarn! the endless worries of a spinner.....

2 comments:

Leigh said...

Lovely squares! How long before you have enough for that blanket?

Woolly Bits said...

well, I have knitted 24 so far - but in the picture they show about 90 or 96 or so.... still a long way to go (I can't be faster as I only get one ball a week)! I would prefer a nicer yarn quality too as it is 100% poly, but then I can at least throw the finished blanked into the wash - with 3 sofa dogs and one piggy son that will be a major advantage:))