picture

picture

Monday 15 February 2016

how embarrassing!

I was up early today - brilliant sunshine outside, even though everything was covered in hoarfrost. but after many grey days sunshine always gives me an instant boost, so I started to sort out a corner in the shed... where I discovered a large plastic box. I thought it was only a few bags of unspun fibres in there - but no, it wasn't ! out came this lot:
 ehm, yes, I had totally forgotten about all those yarns! most of them handspun, some handdyed commercial sock yarns... how on earth could I forgot them? I think I should knit more and spin less - at least for a while! I put them out to get rid of the moth ball smell - and now I have to think hard about what to do with them. a lot of the purple ones are from a cochineal dye session some years back. the white stuff is half wool, half silk, plied with a fine commercial silk. the black on the left is pure alpaca, some naturally "honey" mohair etc.. I blame DH, because the studio isn't finished yet - and I have to spread out all my materials:)
I also found some commercial and hand dyed sock yarns in balls - and I thought I had sorted through the lot and put everything in one box. apparently not... I was desperate for some lighter green, when I did the spring wreath - found it now, just a little bit too late:(
to change the topic - Mr Pringles wasn't too sure about that odd white stuff on the grass! you could see his doubts already, when he ran across the gravel - which normally crunches and moves, but was frozen tight this morning! so he veeeery carefully checked out this odd grass, one foot at a time - and when he noticed that it's somehow still wet, but also "crunchy" he did a mad dash across the road and up the wall on the other side:) I think cats are absolutely hilarious, when they try to avoid cold or wet feet!

8 comments:

Sprotte said...

Ui, Bettina hat nen Schatz gefunden...
Ich habe auch bei unserem Umzug Garne wiedergefunden, von denen ich angenommen hatte, dass ich sie verkauft hatte. Ist doch schön, dass man im Alter solch nette Überraschungen erlebt :-P

Woolly Bits said...

hehe, wahrscheinlich nur in unserem alter - wenn das gedaechtnis schon etwas muerbe geworden ist:) wobei ich ja nichts verkaufe, das ist ja dann noch viel schlimmer, wenn ich meine eigenen garne nichtmal unter kontrolle habe! aber - es wird sich schon eine verwendung finden, denke ich:)

Delighted Hands said...

Too funny! I dream about finding a good stash like that! The kitty is so cute-even ours run in to hide from the chilly freezes!

Woolly Bits said...

Cindy - I should have known about those skeins - I do keep notes about my handspun and all of those skeins were in my notebook!! no point writing it all down - if I never look at my notes:)
today is not kitty-weather at all: I opened the door for the cat, but with heavy rain and strong gusts - pringles decided to go back to bed:)

Nina said...

That is a wonderful find! Think of all the fun you can have with all that newly discovered yarn.

Woolly Bits said...

Nina - I will, yes - only, now I have even more things on my to-do list:) could be worse though - imagine looking for a yarn, only to find out that it's gone! I do think that I should spin more project orientated though - none of those yarns were made with a project in mind - maybe that's why they stayed hidden for so long?

Janet McKee said...

Hi Bettina - what a find! Love your cat too. Janet in Seattle, still knitting and crocheting despite arthritic hands.

Woolly Bits said...

Janet - thanks for your comment! yes, I still have the newly aired bounty sitting in my room - thinking about the projects I could do with them... decisions, decisions:)