picture

picture

Thursday 24 November 2011

not much time to blog

more than a month without entries - where have the days gone? I have the intention of putting something up and woosh, the day is over again....
I haven't been lazy, I did finish my christmas -sal and added to my house-sal. I spun and dyed and knitted... but not everything can be shown in photos! just in case people read my blog without me knowing - it's closer to christmas now and presents are "growing" in every corner of the house....
this is the middle of my house-sal, it's so large that I can't show details and all the houses....I still have to add more detail here and there, but with christmas coming closer, I had to pack it away to get going with the more pressing things... I'll grab it  again after the holidays!


4 close-ups, some my own designs, others changed from charts I found in my stash. as you can see the proportions aren't correct, but they aren't in the houses either - unless they make gigantic toys etc.:) I just made sure not to add winter impressions on one side of the town, when there are cherry blossoms on the trees in the churchyard:) my favourite are the three dogs (our three dogs, two of which we lost). one pees on the lantern, one chases a cat - and the last one, which looks a bit odd, is Timmy, our sheep dog....

the next thing I finished, or rather nearly finished, is the christmas -sal from the same designer. I changed a few things, mainly due to the fact that I miscalculated my yarn requirements and had ordered only one skein each. in fact I just made it with the red, only a few cm left. I changed the colour of the writing, and Renate, the designer was kind enough to change the german title into an english carol - thanks for that, Renate! (she also made one for french embroiderers.....what a service!) I added mohair and wool embroidery threads for the coat, beard and angel's wings. and I added beads and put beads instead of thread in for the showflakes... at the bottom I tried a multicolour yarn from OT, which worked rather well, too. all that's missing now are loops for hanging and wadding plus fabric as background and frame.

 the angel in detail - I think the fluffy wings are just about visible. I used the madeira lana yarn again, which can be brushed to show fluffy fur coats - or angel wings:)) the small snowflakes are done with mill hill sead beads, but the few larger ones are silver-lined rocailles - not enough of the white ones ordered...
 same for santa - a mohair beard and the coat is fur lined as well - it's so cold where he lives!
I did some more dyeing, when I saw that the rhamnus berries had ripened, apparently without the birds noticing. I picked as many as I could and dyed on wool, after I left them to "pickle" in vinegar for a few days. the yellow is from another dye...

I also spun up all my purple logwood dyed fibres, so that now I have a heap of them, ready to knit into a shawl - rectangular I think. and I made a few inserts for christmas cards, some ornaments for secret santa exchanges - and started on a knitted pin cushion, another giveaway.  but in this weather and season photos can be difficult to take - it's either grey or wet or windy or dark - or everything together. and in those rare few sunny dry hours we get - there are many other things to take care of! well, maybe in the next entry:))

9 comments:

Nina said...

Boy, you sure have been busy! The stitch alongs are beautiful both in design and workmanship. I like that the scale varies in the house sal. It gives a lot of visual interest.
The dyed rovings are perfect together. Awesome.

I had to read the last paragraph several times as I kept reading that you had made INSECTS for Christmas cards and some how bugs and Christmas really didn't make sense to me, hehehe

Leigh said...

The yellow and green is so pretty. And I'm so amazed at how productive you've been! I have ideas for Christmas presents, but that's as far as they get! The cross stitch is really a treasure.

Delighted Hands said...

Great stitching and I love the roving-your dyes turned out beautifully on this one!

Elke Schwarzer said...

Das ist aber schön geworden! Toll gemacht!
Viele Grüße
Elke

Woolly Bits said...

Nina - insects for christmas cards, that would be a novelty:)) though - why not, nice glittery dragonflies would look lovely? or a ladybug in red and with christmas green spots:)) and maybe there are cookie bugs etc....

Leigh - I don't really have a choice but to start christmas early. not with decos etc. but if you want to make at least 10 gifts by hand, plus smaller for secret santas etc., it's no good starting in december:)) though I am not doing up a house, I'd say that would take a front seat before doodling with presents!

Cindy - I just came home from the spinner's meeting yesterday - got myself some lovely soft purples and a dark blue - I might mix that with some of the light green/yellow soon - looks like flowering sage or lavender in the garden:))

Elke - danke, ich kam vom spinntreffen wieder mit 1 mio. neuer ideen (und einem neuen buch fuer kleinigkeiten aus einem knaeuel, ahem:)). leider finde ich nie irgendwo extra haende oder beutel mit zeit im verkauf:))

woll-as said...

Na hier sieht es aber auch schon weihnachtlich aus.
Dafür haben wir nun euren Wind und trübes Novemberwetter, daß man keinen Hund rausjagen möchte, weder zu Katzenjagd noch zum...
Ich liebe diese kleinen gestickten Anspielungen :-)

Und immer ist eben nicht die Zeit zum bloggen, Das Leben spielt sich doch im täglichen Tun ab.

Wir wünschen euch eine schöne Weihnachtszeit

wollige Grüße Anita u. Wolfgang

Helen said...

Hi Bettina
Sounds just like me -I decide to blog turn around and the day has gone!
Still good to see you are still producing as usual . Love the rhammus berries dyes. I am going to plant some this year.
Thanks for the post on my blog too.:)

Judy said...

Hello Bettina,
I love your stitching that you are doing. That takes so much time, but yours is turning out so nice. I love the soft yellow and green that you achieved with your dyeing. It seems like it's really hard to get that soft yellow with chemical dyes. I keep trying....
Hello from Idaho,
Judy

Web 2 Print Solution said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.