picture

picture

Friday 23 May 2008

busy, busy

at the moment the days seem to be too short to get anything done properly.... preparations for our visitors, work in the garden, doing presents - not to forget trying to get something done for the running workshop of the olg! but I have to set priorities - that's why I finished cleaning out my wool room (aka guest room...) yesterday. all the washed fleeces were packed into plastic bags - with moth balls, just in case. they all went into the turf shed - only for 2 weeks, mind you, I don't wont any nasties lurking there to move into my fleeces! I have to admit that I finally took the plunge and threw some older bags out, some with wool so tough, I could have used it as wirewool. others quite dirty and not at all tempting to spin! I did find some nice things too - some useful for the veggie dyeing, such as hemp, kapok and linen. others just plain nice - satin angora, camel down and yak:)) once the visitors are gone I'll have plenty of small bags to play with! who am I kidding - I received a parcel yesterday - filled to the rim with nice, black (but unwashed) lamb's fleece of a Zwartbles! the colour very much like the black welsh, but the handle seems to be softer - as far as I can judge it from the unwashed fleece! it had to go into the shed too - our visitors don't like the sheepy smell of fresh fleeces as much as I do:))
to finish off the room I finally managed to make up the lamp shade that I had "in the making" for quite some time now! I knew I had some copper rings as a base for a lampshade somewhere(bought for one in painted silk decades ago....) - but I had to dig deep to get them out! to my amazement the knitted part (made out of handspun ramie) fitted like a glove at the first try, no measuring, sheer guesswork! I wanted it to look like an upside down cone, but decided at the last minute that I also wanted some corners hanging over the ring. the result is a cone with three triangles hanging down, weighted down with some pieces of mother-of-pearl, shells and beads. and a few glass marbles for the middle, as the shell deco wasn't heavy enough to weigh it down as much as I wanted! the result looks a bit oriental, but I like it - and DS does too, as he asked for a similar one for his room!
I also received some nice presents in the mail - the two books of lace knitting by M. Kinzl - and this handmade roll-up for my sock needles! with "knitting yarn fabric" no less! I filled it immediately - well, at least with those dpn I had in my overflowing box - the rest are still in use, but there's enough space left for all of them! thank you, Sabine - I rarely do receive handmade presents! usually I am told to make my own, as I do so many things myself.... but that's just not the same:)) pity that the circs. don't fit into it - I have to think about something like that for storage at some stage, as the timber box is too small for all of my needles - and the longer ones don't fit the cd booklets available!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo that roll up looks very handy, what a nice thing to have.

i just keep my hooks and short needles in a pencil case. what a mess!

Woolly Bits said...

I bought a small wooden box for them years ago - but I think it was made for those knitters and crocheters, who get by with 4-5 needles:)) and anyway - handmade is always nicer - at least to me:)) I heard that aluminium tubes, which held expensive cigars once upon a time work well - but noone smokes those big smellies here, so how would I get my grubby mitts on them? and would dpn really fit into them (must be very large cuban cigars?:))